Friday, September 13, 2013

#31DC2013 Animal Print


Hello, my lovelies! Today is animal print day in the 31 Day Challenge, and you get TWO manis from me today! Mostly because the first was such an epic failure, but whatever.


First up is the failure! This was a set of nail art strips that I honestly have NO idea where they came from, nor what they are! I had them in my nail art drawer in a little ziplock baggie with none of the packaging. IF I purchased them (and they weren't just a free promo sample or something like that), then it was 99% probable that it was at Walmart, making them Kiss or Fing'rs or something like that. These are not the real polish strips, they were thicker, and incredibly impossible to smooth down. You can clearly see the creases in multiple places. I'm sure the fail on these is all down to user error, but damn! I went through 3 strips on a couple of fingers before giving up! Anyway- will not be using the rest of them, at least not as they were intended to be used. But I'm creative, so I may come up with something!



For attempt number two, I really wanted to do something different, as I'm sure there will be TONS of cheetah and leopard and zebra out there today. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I just wanted to do something . . . different. So I thought about my absolute favorite animal, and stumbled across my inspiration photo (it's the one above, it you didn't get it). Did you figure out what it is? It's a FLAMINGO!!


Not having the skill to actually draw a flamingo on my nails, I went with something a bit more abstract: the accent nail is a feather, and the rest are mimicking the color pattern in the inspiration photo. I started with a base of Revlon Spirit with an accent nail of Wet N Wild Tickled Pink. The feather was freehanded on using Wet N Wild Lavender Creme. I then used Kiss Nail Art Striper in Bikini Pink to create the little dashes (feather tips) and Spirit for the feather vanes. Then I loosely mixed some Spirit, Tickled Pink and a clear coat on a bit of cosmetic sponge and dabbed it over everything to soften it up. 

What do you think? Remotely passable? I started out loving it, but kind of went downhill after that. I looks a bit more Breast Cancer-y than flamingo-y. But I DO love the concept, and will for sure try again!

As always, check out more animals in the linkz below, and by searching hashtag #31DC2013 on your favorite social media! Also- follow me on Bloglovin' if you don't already, wouldja? There's a little button right up top on the right :)





No comments:

Post a Comment