Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Out of Oz: The Shaggy Man by A Rhyming Dictionary

Just a quickie for now, though I'm sure I'll showcase this one again in the fall, because it is absolutely beautiful, and brings to mind nothing so much as fall harvest colors!


This is The Shaggy Man by new-ish Indie A Rhyming Dictionary. I love coming across brand new indies, and the beautiful colors that they create! Big, established indie brands come up with some gorgeous colors, no doubt, but you kind of get used to the colors that they come up with. A new brand has brand new ideas, and brand new supplies, and it's so much fun to discover them all! 


This is two coats of The Shaggy Man over NYC Midtown Mink, topped with Seche Vite. Photo taken in indoor "natural" light, no flash. Tell me that doesn't look like a blanket of fallen leaves! Morgan from A Rhyming Dictionary calls the Shaggy Man "a clear base with micro-fine emerald glitter, small, medium, and large hex glitter of emerald, gold, copper, red, spring green, red squares, gold squares, and green squares."

The fine emerald glitter really sets this whole look off: there are tons of chunky glitter toppers floating around, but the fine glitter really fills in the gaps and gives the polish a whole other dimension.


The Shaggy Man applied very well, no glitter fishing, no curling, no clumping. A thick topcoat made everything nice and smooth. I can't wait until the leaves start turning so I can play with this over other colors: I have a lovely Harvest Gold color in mind. Now I just have to find a color that matches my imagination! (Or make one silly :) )

A Rhyming Dictionary polishes can be purchased on Etsy: full size bottles are $7.50, minis are $3.50.  Morgan says that she really loved the Oz books as a kid (of which there are 40! I only knew of maybe 6!), and her favorite is the Leopard with the Changing Spots from the Hidden Valley of Oz. Both her name and all of her colors are inspired by this book. Each color has a little backstory on the character it is named for in its Etsy listing. I love it when indies include a bit of their inspiration in the polish description. I'm pretty sure I've said that before, but it really is one of the easiest things a polish maker (there has to be a better word for that!) can do to earn my interest in their products. 

Like A Rhyming Dictionary on Facebook for news and swatches, and come back to see more of my reviews! I've got The Nome King, Betsy Bobbin and Ozga the Rose Queen scheduled :)




I've also been sent another Leibster nomination, from Globe & Nail! I won't redo the whole thing, but I will answer the questions I was sent, because that's the funnest part!

1. Why did you decide to start blogging, and how long ago did you start?
I originally started this blog as another means of promoting my own polish line, but I had so many gorgeous indie polishes from other makers that deserved to be shown off as well! Out of 34 posts so far, a total of one has featured my own polish :) I love being able to show off the hard work and wonderful imagination of my fellow polish makers. I've been at this about 2 months.

2. Favorite polish finish? (Creme, glitter, holo, shimmer, etc.?)
My classic, all time favorite is definitely creme, but holos and duochromes are trying very hard to overtake that!

3. Ever had an embarrassing manicure failure?
Any time I try to do nail art! I just ordered some dotting tools, and I want to get into stamping, but that's about as arty as I think I'll ever get! 
An example of the horror that comes of me attempting nail art!


4. What is your nail art/nail care pet peeve?
I can't say that I really have one. I'm pretty laid back in general, so to each her own!

5. Biggest polish lemming?
Indies: Darling Diva Polish Mean Mr. Mustard (brand new!) or Whimsical Ideas by Pam Kismet's Pajamas. Brand name: I don't think I have one. I really like China Glaze Elephant Walk, but I have about 8 other greys that are probably close enough to be dupes.

6. What brand of polish do you own the most of?
I usually keep a bottle of each of my own colors for myself, but I don't think I should be able to count that :) Probably Sinful Colors.

7. What is your favourite movie?
I'm going to cheat and say the LOTR trilogy. It's all one story, so I say it counts!

8. Favourite book?
Same as above. I'm a big nerd, and everything LOTR related is on my radar!

9. Any hobbies besides nail art and blogging?
I'm a knitter and crocheter, but I tend to let it slide during the summer. It's just about time to break out the needles to get started on some holiday gifts, though!

10. Three material possessions you couldn't live a day without?
I'll be kind, and not count my kitty as a possession :) My laptop (with internet access, of course), some good lip balm, and this giant, fuzzy tiger blanket that is just comfort defined.

11. Do you ever leave the house with naked nails?
I may run to the convenience store to get some milk or something, but I can't recall the last time I went "out" out, or to work or anything like that without pretty nails.

I have so much fun both answering these, and reading everyone else's responses, so thanks again Globe & Nail!


No comments:

Post a Comment