Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIY Pressed Powder: Wallet Friendly Wednesday

Today, I was inspired by the following two things I found on Pinterest. 



I decided to combine them, and see how things turned out. No so well, actually.


.I won't do a full step by step, as I'm not that thrilled with the results, but both original sites have complete instructions should you wish to try it out. To be fair, I think the problem was in combining the two, rather than issues with either process.

First things first, I gathered my ingredients. Cornstarch, baby powder*, too-dark powder (see note below)**, mixing bowl, measuring spoon.

* The original site says that she used baby powder. It's not until later in the post that she explains that her baby powder is 100% cornstarch with aloe and vitamin E. I could have used all cornstarch, and avoided the nasty baby powder smell that mine now has. 

** The original site used cocoa powder as a colorant. I was a bit squicked out about using cocoa powder on my face: I have very sensitive skin and didn't know how it would react. Plus: chocolate on your face? So I bought the darkest face powder that ELF had to offer and ground it up to add a bit of color to the otherwise white powder. I maintain that it doesn't break the DIY rules too much as I'm still mixing, and it was only a buck. I used less than half of it. 


Mixed them all together. Once the container on the left gets shaken up, it will be the powder that the site claimed to create. And it works just fine. I'm not a fan of loose powder (outside of theatrical makeup applications, for which its necessary), so I don't use it that often, but it does do the job. Also, it smells like baby powder, which I hate, but you really only smell it while using it, then it fades. 


Here I mixed about half of the dry loose powder with enough rubbing alcohol to create a paste. 


Then I smeared it into two empty compacts with a butter knife and let them dry for about 24 hours. 


The finished product. Not too shabby. A bit uneven, but that's only cosmetic, who cares? 

Well, I don't know if it was just that the two processes weren't meant to be meshed or an number of other things that could be wrong, but my powder lasted about 4 days before completely disintegrating again. It was crumbly as all get out, and absolutely useless as a pressed powder. I ended up grinding it up again and adding it back into the loose powder jar. 

Overall, I can't call it a complete loss, as I do occasionally use the loose powder, but it's not something I'll ever try again. The ELF powder is only $1 and comes in a pretty decent range of shades, so if I'm that hard up for powder, I'll just grab one of those. Also, I prefer loose eyeshadow, so I can't see trying the "fix your broken makeup" trick again either. 

What about you? Have you tried anything similar to either of these? What were your results? 



No comments:

Post a Comment