Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pot of Purple Granite

Today's polish, my dears, is a little bit different. No bottle. What? Yeah. Meet Wonder Beauty Products' Nail Polish Palettes. Shown is Purple Bang.


Jen from Wonder Beauty Products created this polish system, which is different, but does have some great advantages. The polish is more concentrated, so you can get away with fewer coats, and the little jar allows for easier picking of glitter- no getting stuck under the lip of the jar, or at the bottom where the brush doesn't reach. Also, if you're one of those that actually uses up a whole bottle of polish, you can get all the way to the bottom of this one: no waste! I was a bit hesitant about the whole system, just because it is different, but curiosity got the best of me. 

Each polish palette comes with a little jar equivalent to a .5 oz bottle of polish, plus a .5 oz bottle of Fusing Liquid and a mixing stick (not shown) in a cute little organza favor bag.

There is a tutorial for applying these polish palettes here. I'll detail the application at the end of the post, with my thoughts on the whole thing. 


Purple Bang is described as "A super fierce glistening darkened grape purple made up of a multitude of glitters in a jelly like clear base." My polish base was purple-ish, but very sheer, with black, pinkish and kind of whitish glitters. Bad description, but it's the closest I can get- this polish is a bit complex.


I had to wait a little bit to wear this polish, because I specifically ordered Essie Smokin Hot to wear under it! I could have just gotten it at Walmart, but I used my Copious credits, so I only paid a penny! Since the base of Purple Bang is clearish, I really wanted good undies, and this Smokin Hot came to mind immediately! Also, it gave me and excuse to get this lovely Essie. I prefer to save my polish budget for indies, so it was win-win. 


For this manicure, I used Essie Smokin Hot as a base, then two coats of Purple Bang, one coat of the provided Fusing Liquid, and one coat of Seche Vite. 


It was very weird taking pictures with the little pot, rather than a bottle. I couldn't quite figure out how to grip it, and still show off my nails.


Ahh . . . that's better!


The Etsy listing for this color refers to it as "faux stone fusion", and that could not be more apt! It looks amazingly like a granite countertop on my nails, and I love it! If I could find a countertop in this lovely greyed-out purple, you'd better believe it would be in my kitchen already. I can see myself wearing this one quite a bit. I know I say that a lot, but I really mean it every time- there just aren't enough nails on my fingers for every polish I want to wear.

I want to tell you a secret: the palette is really not at all hard to use. You open up both the jar and the bottle of Fusing Liquid, mix it up with your mixing stick, and use the brush from the Fusing Liquid to dip into the jar, and apply just like a regular bottle of polish. It seems like an extra step, but I've already expounded on the benefits of a jar when it comes to glitter and repeated use. You can keep the brush loaded up with the Fusing Liquid to make the polish more sheer, or wipe off all of the clear for more concentrated color, which is what I did. The Fusing Liquid then doubles as a topcoat. I put on one coat of the Fusing Liquid, but the polish was still slightly bumpy, so I used a coat of Seche Vite on top. In hindsight, I should have used another coat of the Fusing Liquid to see if that would have smoothed everything out. 

I don't think I would want ALL of my polishes in palette form, but I certainly won't shy away from them. And hey- comes with it's own special topcoat!

Wonder Beauty Products can be purchased on Etsy. Bottles are $10, palettes are $12. And if you're STILL wary of the palettes, all colors now come in bottles as well. Jen has a new line of SCENTED polishes coming out soon, as well! Sign me up :) Like Wonder Beauty Products on Facebook, and check out my review of Crotch Rocket (in a bottle). Jen also runs a blog, and a second Etsy shop, called Vintage Riches, which appears to sell mostly vintage clothing, with some assorted dishware and knick-knacks.







1 comment: