Friday, September 27, 2013

#31DC2013 Inspired by Artwork


If you're new to my blog, or only reading because of The Challenge (in which case you should totally follow me! It's easy- there's a little Bloglovin' box right over there on the right!), then you probably don't know that I come from a very, very crafty family. In addition to nail art, I also make nail polish, I knit and crochet, cook and bake like crazy, I've started making buttons (polymer clay, like clothing buttons) and anything else that occasionally catches my fancy. 


The one craft I never did pick up, but my mother is AMAZING at, it sewing. And her particular favorite type of sewing is quilting. We were hanging out at her house one day while she was making a quilt, out of the blue, for one of her goddaughter's friends' birthday. You know you're an obsessed crafter when you run out of people to make things for! The fabric above is the main focus fabric of the quilt she was making, and you can just see the ruler and rotary cutter there in the upper right hand corner- I made her stop trimming her edges so I could take a photo :)


I started with a base of Nina Ultra Pro Blue Blaze, and then painted on my pastel dots in a random spiral pattern (which I wish was more defined, but the feeling is still there) using Sinful Colors Pink Forever, LA Colors Shock, NYC High Line Green and Water Street Blue, and Sinful Colors Amethyst, plus mixing the colors together to create in-betweens. I topped the whole thing off with NYC In a Minute Matte Me Crazy topcoat. Cause, obviously, fabric isn't shiny! 

I've seen some glorious paintings and sculptures and other forms of high art out there, and I certainly respect those artists, as that is something that I absolutely could never do! But, having grown up in a family where everyone is involved in some sort of craft or another, at nearly all times, has given me an almost religious respect for craft artwork in all forms. What about you- any other craft hobbies? Scrapbooking, friendship bracelets, pottery- what's your poison?

Be sure to check out the rest of the amazing artwork below, and by searching hashtag #31DC2013 on your favorite social media!






No comments:

Post a Comment