Monday, September 16, 2013

#31DC2013 Tribal


I don't know about you, but Tribal is definitely not one of my favorite nail art styles. I don't have any issue with it, and I don't hate it, but it's not something I would seek out, and I've never seen a tribal design I truly loved. So I set about finding something that I felt strongly about, something that I really, really adored. And I settled on this pin (which, sadly, doesn't link to any originial source, so if you know it, let me know!). It's a tattoo inspired by Pictish tribal art. 

The Picts were a warrior tribe in what the Romans called Caledonia- present day Scotland. They painted themselves for battle in blue woad, a dye derived from a mustard-family plant. They were hence called the Painted People. Caledonia was never conquered by Rome, and thus the Picts go down in history as a truly unconquerable people. My family is nearly all Irish (Hibernian) on both sides, and so this spoke to me far more than the African inspired tribal that seems more prevalent.


I started with China Glaze Fast Track with an accent of Pure Ice Party Hard, which is a deep, deep almost-black navy. I absolutely adore the combo of the nude and blue! I created the tribal designs from various segments of the tattoo using Kiss Nail Art Striper Pearl Blue. I really do love the way this turned out, except for the smudge on my pinky :) 

Check out the rest of the tribal manis in the InLinkz below, and by searching for hashtag #31DC2013 on your favorite social media!





No comments:

Post a Comment